Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Olympic torch through London et al

Squeamous's Avatar Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by manicgeek View Post
    Yeah right... so many more people now know about how badly China treats the people of Tibet don't they ? And they gained that knowledge from watching people and reading about people attack a western person carrying a torch that represents fairness to all competitors...

If you are seriously arguing that the only way to protest is to attack people then you obviously don't understand what the word protest means... it damned sure as hell doesn't mean assault <- You can look that one up if you like.
    No-one attacked anyone. ONE protestor tried to grab the torch, and that was it. Not sure what footage you were watching, maybe it was footage of the last civil unrest in Tibet.

Oh, and the torch is supposed to symbolise peace not 'fairness to all competitors'. Where did you get that from??

2. Lounge   -   #52
    The torch is supposed to represent the link to the ancient games, one of the ideals of those games was supposedly fairness to all competitors.

I'm happy for you all to agree that thuggery is a valid form of protest and fully expect to hear you supporting the next Muslim who resorts to thuggery in protest over cartoons of his prophet.

Bored now...

3. Lounge   -   #53
    Biggles's Avatar Looking for loopholes
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien5 View Post
    i don't think you understand protests then, the more you protest about things, the more people take notice, the more you can get things changed.

maybe you should look up the meaning of protesting in the dictionary, then decide if the protesters or the olympic torch carriers have had the worst publicity over the last two days.
    Yeah right... so many more people now know about how badly China treats the people of Tibet don't they ? And they gained that knowledge from watching people and reading about people attack a western person carrying a torch that represents fairness to all competitors...

If you are seriously arguing that the only way to protest is to attack people then you obviously don't understand what the word protest means... it damned sure as hell doesn't mean assault <- You can look that one up if you like.
    Tibet has had more headline news in the last few weeks than in the last 40 years. There cannot be many unaware of what is going on and why people are protesting. I have no idea what you consider a protest consists of in a free society but a handful of minor scuffles trying to grab a torch does not represent thuggery. Did these people raise a hand to a single runner or policeman? People in masks smashing property and having running battles with the police is thuggery. Holding a flag up to a camera and then getting flattened by a flying a policeman is not thuggery - unless you are counting the policeman as the thug, well are you?
    Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

4. Lounge   -   #54
    The torch is supposed to represent the link to the ancient games, one of the ideals of those games was supposedly fairness to all competitors.

I'm happy for you all to agree that thuggery is a valid form of protest and fully expect to hear you supporting the next Muslim who resorts to thuggery in protest over cartoons of his prophet.

Bored now...
    The torch represents the games. The games are primarily a symbol of healthy competition between nations over violence. Hence, it primarily symbolises peace.

We have established that no-one behaved in a thuggish manner.

EHS

5. Lounge   -   #55
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    Gosper, who is a member of the IOC commission advising Beijing on staging the Olympics, described the protesters as "professional spoilers".

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...T2IuZbDBweVxeg

warning: this article does not contain the words thug or thuggery.

---------------
    manicgeek: you bastard! you spoiled my olympics!

me: boo hoo!
    Last edited by Alien5; 04-08-2008 at 10:31 AM.

6. Lounge   -   #56
    Cheeky bastard!

The IOC themselves expressed a hope that the games being held in Beijing would open up dialogue over Tibet back when they awarded it....in fact that was one of their justifcations. Now they're not happy because people are speaking a bit too loudly for their comfort.

Boo hoo indeed. Nasty people taking it out on our shiny torch! And now they're blackmailing everyone by basically saying that if it carries on they might have to stop the relay...and not just this one but all in the future! I've never seen such a pathetic display of cowardice.

7. Lounge   -   #57
    Alien5's Avatar μετά BT Rep: +6BT Rep +6
    I dunno how people protest in manicgeek's perfect thug-free world?

maybe he's from that utopia called china.
    Last edited by Alien5; 04-08-2008 at 11:09 AM.

8. Lounge   -   #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeamous View Post
    The torch represents the games. The games are primarily a symbol of healthy competition between nations over violence. Hence, it primarily symbolises peace.

We have established that no-one behaved in a thuggish manner.

EHS
    And some of the protesters thought it could do with having a bit of violence putting back into it did they ?

Have you ? Where was that then ?

9. Lounge   -   #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Tibet has had more headline news in the last few weeks than in the last 40 years. There cannot be many unaware of what is going on and why people are protesting. I have no idea what you consider a protest consists of in a free society but a handful of minor scuffles trying to grab a torch does not represent thuggery. Did these people raise a hand to a single runner or policeman? People in masks smashing property and having running battles with the police is thuggery. Holding a flag up to a camera and then getting flattened by a flying a policeman is not thuggery - unless you are counting the policeman as the thug, well are you?
    No it hasn't, the protests about Tibet have had loads of publicity, but Tibet and the plight of the people there has had virtually none, in fact they managed to generate more word wide publicity than all of the protests so far when they recently committed acts of violence against the Chinese state, as they're oppressed violence is their only option, unlike the nice comfy Western nations and their peoples who believe that they can be violent because they're free and empowered

If you don't want to call jumping on a person in the street, and taking something from them thuggery that's entirely your choice, most of us generally call it 'mugging', but in this case we must accept that the criminal wasn't doing it for personal gain, and so thuggery seems to be a more appropriate term.

Feel free to jump on someone in the street and try to take something from them, if you want to test that.... I'm fairly sure the police wont accept it as a valid form of protest, and if you're really unlucky the beak won't either.

10. Lounge   -   #60
    Quote Originally Posted by Alien5 View Post
    Gosper, who is a member of the IOC commission advising Beijing on staging the Olympics, described the protesters as "professional spoilers".

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5...T2IuZbDBweVxeg

warning: this article does not contain the words thug or thuggery.

---------------
    manicgeek: you bastard! you spoiled my olympics!

me: boo hoo!
    Ah! I see you see the protesters and their actions as some kind of Olympic event then ? Well I suppose that's a novel way of looking at it... now if only the law would see assaulting people that way all the time I could get those nice gadgets I've been after

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast