Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to get off this stinking rock?

clocker's Avatar Shovel Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by j2k4 View Post
    There are any number of coincident degenerations more pressing than that of planet Earth.
    Like what?
    "I am the one who knocks."- Heisenberg

2. The Drawing Room   -   #12
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Couple of things I believe you might be aware of-

North Korea.

Iran and the rest of the Mid-east.

Any of several situations in Africa.

Our fucking economy.

I could go on, but then you know that, too.

Earth will be around for a couple more millennia...I'm positive of this.

Long after GM and the UAW are gone.

I'm sure of that, too.
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

3. The Drawing Room   -   #13
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel

North Korea.

Our fucking economy.

I'm sure of that, too.
    So according to you j2, the future (distant) is not important? I agree we focus on our current problems but to be honest, in my eyes (and this is only my opinion, I await your bashing) its people like you who are the biggest detriment to mankind's evolution.

And yes, I too think the only way to reach out to the stars is to be able to download our consciousness into another container other than a biological body that can endure the harshness of space.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

4. The Drawing Room   -   #14
    mickstavros's Avatar Poster
    Earth may be around, but we won't.
    Cockroaches will adapt after we die and rule the Earth.

5. The Drawing Room   -   #15
    j2k4's Avatar en(un)lightened
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post

North Korea.

Our fucking economy.

I'm sure of that, too.
    So according to you j2, the future (distant) is not important? I agree we focus on our current problems but to be honest, in my eyes (and this is only my opinion, I await your bashing) its people like you who are the biggest detriment to mankind's evolution.

And yes, I too think the only way to reach out to the stars is to be able to download our consciousness into another container other than a biological body that can endure the harshness of space.
    No bashing required - I merely choose to note the fact (as in the intervening post) that the rock we are living on will survive us, and we'd best work out the problems that bear on our situation before we take drastic measures to insure a safe future for the burgeoning cockroach population.

From a purely mathematical point-of-view, I don't think the odds for our survival here par up too well with Earth's life expectancy given the whims of nature, but I would prefer to consider mankind has a decent chance to play out the string without suffering a holocaust of his own manufacture.

Your last paragraph begs questions best entertained by fans of science-fiction, and that is not to bash, either - I just don't care to go there (so to speak).

So - do you feel you have been "bashed"?
    "Researchers have already cast much darkness on the subject, and if they continue their investigations, we shall soon know nothing at all about it."

-Mark Twain

6. The Drawing Room   -   #16
    cpt_azad's Avatar Colonel
    Quote Originally Posted by cpt_azad View Post

No bashing required - I merely choose to note the fact (as in the intervening post) that the rock we are living on will survive us, and we'd best work out the problems that bear on our situation before we take drastic measures to insure a safe future for the burgeoning cockroach population.

From a purely mathematical point-of-view, I don't think the odds for our survival here par up too well with Earth's life expectancy given the whims of nature, but I would prefer to consider mankind has a decent chance to play out the string without suffering a holocaust of his own manufacture.

Your last paragraph begs questions best entertained by fans of science-fiction, and that is not to bash, either - I just don't care to go there (so to speak).

So - do you feel you have been "bashed"?
    Not at all, I always admired your well thought out posts J2, its been awhile.

Sci-fi or not, its a possibility although it wont happen (if it ever does) for many many generations to come.

And I suppose when I said "dying planet" I might have been a little exaggerated, yes, Earth can easily survive us being here.

Jeff Loomis: He's so good, he doesn't need to be dead to have a tribute.

7. The Drawing Room   -   #17
    MaxOverlord's Avatar Simplify
    Hmmm.
    Last edited by MaxOverlord; 09-12-2009 at 10:21 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot....
    You just keep pushing. You just keep pushing. I made every mistake that could be made. But I just kept pushing..... Descartes

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12