Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to Get Your Windows 7 Beta 1 on Jan 9

tesco's Avatar woowoo
    Quote Originally Posted by S!X View Post
    Anyone know if it's possible to revert back to vista without reformatting? I can't stand this OS.
    Yes, Restore the backup you made before doing the upgrade.

Seriously, why would you do an 'upgrade' without making a backup?
    It took me about 3 mins to download a norton ghost trial and 15 mins to make my backup before formatting and installing windows 7.

2. News (Archive)   -   #12
    vic's Avatar Poster
    thanks for the info, downloading.

3. News (Archive)   -   #13
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post
    Anyone know if it's possible to revert back to vista without reformatting? I can't stand this OS.

It took me about 3 mins to download a norton ghost trial and 15 mins to make my backup before formatting and installing windows 7.
    I don't have a backup

Quote Originally Posted by asmithz View Post

HAHA you have problems all around. :-p

First of all you shouldn't have upgraded from vista to windows 7. For two reason; one being that "upgrading" always causes a problem (always reformat when installing a new os), and two you cannot revert back to vista without formatting and reinstalling it.

What you should have done was made a separate partition for windows 7 and tried it out.

I suggest getting use to windows 7 (being more stable and faster), or formatting. Good luck.
    7 doesn't seem faster to me, actually more sluggish then vista for some reason. Guess I'll just have to reformat when I get a chance.
    Last edited by S!X; 01-11-2009 at 12:24 AM.

4. News (Archive)   -   #14
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition
    Quote Originally Posted by tesco View Post

I don't have a backup

First of all you shouldn't have upgraded from vista to windows 7. For two reason; one being that "upgrading" always causes a problem (always reformat when installing a new os), and two you cannot revert back to vista without formatting and reinstalling it.

What you should have done was made a separate partition for windows 7 and tried it out.

I suggest getting use to windows 7 (being more stable and faster), or formatting. Good luck.
    7 doesn't seem faster to me, actually more sluggish then vista for some reason. Guess I'll just have to reformat when I get a chance.
    That's because you upgraded, upgrading is always bad.

5. News (Archive)   -   #15
    works fine as dual boot with vista..

i cant confirm the sluggishness, the gui seems indeed faster on my testbox..
    booting up and shutting down is faster as well..

but its called a "beta" so its actually alpha.. consider a windows OS beta as long as there aint at least one service pack, and really usable after SP2

i also found it less stable as vista - for example do resolution changes leave the screen black at times..

generally speaking, it really looks good, and im looking forward to 2010/2011, when there will be a stable retail release + patches.. until then, i'll stick to vista/xp and ubuntu/debian on my main boxes...
    Last edited by S1Lv3R; 01-11-2009 at 04:54 AM.

6. News (Archive)   -   #16
    Detale's Avatar Go Snatch a Judge

I don't have a backup

That's because you upgraded, upgrading is always bad.

I did the upgrade the first time I installed it as a test and it worked fine.

What were your HW specs??

Also guys I cannot for the life of me find how to make my Win7 look like the screenshot link above

EDIT: MEH! I found it, apparently it's not W7 but a longhorn prototype called the "doubledecker" taskbar. Well that ruined my day

On a lighter note:

From the windows 7 blog:

The Windows Blog

Here’s where we stand
    Saturday, January 10, 2009 7:24 PM

I know many of you have had issues with the Windows 7 Beta site over the last 24 hours. As you may have noticed the download site has been up and running smoothly since this morning. That said, we apologize for the inconvenience that it caused some of you.

Due to an enormous surge in demand, the download experience was not ideal so we listened and took the necessary steps to ensure a good experience. We have clearly heard that many of you want to check out the Windows 7 Beta and, as a result, we have decided remove the initial 2.5 million limit on the public beta for the next two weeks (thru January 24th). During that time you will have access to the beta even if the download number exceeds the 2.5 million unit limit.

Thank you for your enthusiasm, interest and willingness to beta test. It has been great to see the positive early reviews and feedback. As you know, this is a beta product. We are working hard to get Windows 7 ready and right. Your input is a critical part of that process. Thank you!
    Last edited by Detale; 01-11-2009 at 08:14 AM.

7. News (Archive)   -   #17
    S!X's Avatar L33T Member BT Rep: +5
    Quote Originally Posted by Detale View Post

1. Antec Nine Hundred Case
    2. Corsair 520W PSU
    3. AMD X2 4200 Manchester @2.77GHz w/Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro
    4. XFX 8800GTS 320MB
    5. ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    6. OCZ Platinum EL PC3200 1GB 2X512MB DDR400
    7. Seagate Barracuda SATA 250GB
    8. hp w1907 19" Widescreen monitor

8. News (Archive)   -   #18
    asmithz's Avatar Hi-Definition

2. Corsair 520W PSU
    4. XFX 8800GTS 320MB
    5. ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    My CPU is a little slower than yours. Maybe it is your ram, I am running 4gigs on mine.

9. News (Archive)   -   #19
    Hairbautt's Avatar *haircut
    I'm actually excited 'bout Windows 7. Kinda tired of XP and my 1,001 tweaks.

I'd like to go back to thinking it was all magic again and my new XPS () is certainly capable of handling it.

Feel sorry for all the poor bastards who went straight to Vista. :-P

10. News (Archive)   -   #20
    tesco's Avatar woowoo

2. Corsair 520W PSU
    4. XFX 8800GTS 320MB
    5. ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe
    Windows 7 requires a minimum of Antec Twelve Hundred Case.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast