Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast

Thread: All Users: Please Enable Encryption!

j0hn's Avatar leet poster BT Rep: +1
    in my case, not at all. according to those that designed it, not at all. only some paranoid ppl, or ppl on windows 3.1 486 machines think it makes a difference to speed. it uses a tiny bit more ram, that on any pc made in the last 5 years wont notice. if u have an interest in sharing, enable encryption, so those that are being shaped can get round it.

also, if u enable encryption, it means u can download from traffic shaped users too. isps are also shaping their upload traffic.

2. Guides and Tutorials   -   #62
    jimbo7's Avatar sharemeister
    snakes!

3. Guides and Tutorials   -   #63
    i dont understand very well but there are some incompatibilities between encrypted clients and not-encrypted? I read the faq but since my english is not good... ^_^ anyway i've enabled encryption, speed is the same.

4. Guides and Tutorials   -   #64
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo7
    how much does encryption slow down a connection if shaping is not being employed?
    well, in theory, it'd slow it down to the rate at which your computer can process the encryption, which for most folks, is going to be much greater than the rate at which your computer can pass traffic.

however, if you're encrypting your stream and only accepting other encrypted connections, then the max speed you can achieve is going to depend on how many other people are using encryption.

your best bet is probably to turn it on and see what happens -- you can always turn it back off.

5. Guides and Tutorials   -   #65
    is good

6. Guides and Tutorials   -   #66
    if it helps the torrent community ill put encryption. Thats what its all about is helping each other and sharing the wealth!

7. Guides and Tutorials   -   #67
    here its encrypted a long time ago.. hehe

8. Guides and Tutorials   -   #68
    Member BT Rep: +9BT Rep +9
    yope thanks for info, wanted to do it but couldnt find very usefull

9. Guides and Tutorials   -   #69
    juggler BT Rep: +1
    thanks for the tip

10. Guides and Tutorials   -   #70
    If torrent sites start insisting on it - people will do it, untill then i dont think many people will bother!

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast